Welcome to our World

So I decided to attempt to join the tech savvy world of bloggers. And if you know me, you know tech savvy I am not, so consider this a big step. I just thought that this might be a fun way for family and friends to keep up with us. I hope it will be something enjoyed by us all.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Woodlands Discovery Playground

"Let's check it out" are the words expressed by Charlotte and Madilynn when I told them their friend, Max, wanted to meet up to play at the new park at Shelby Farms.  Actually, Madi saying "Shelby Farms" is just adorable, as is most of her widely expanded, never ceasing, speech right now :). 
Woodlands Discovery Playground just opened Friday and here we are the following Thursday, ready to explore it though play.  It is just amazing.  It's the kind of playground I would like to play on even without my kids, with really very ingenious activities (see pics - once I figure out how to get them on here).  I would say Madi's favorite part was the sand "nest" (there are four sections in this HUGE park and they are labeled "nests"), which is not suprising that she would pick the messiest one...shocker.  I did beg them to stay out of the small water trough and they actually did.  I think Charlotte's favorite too was in that "nest" but it was the high fast tunnel slide there that she just adored.  The kids (and I) were flying out of this slide right into the sand!
We packed a picnic lunch and enjoyed leaving the play area and going to sit under a tree for some shade (88 deg this day), then it was potties and right back to playing.  Charlotte was very excited then when another friend showed up, Avery. They exchanged big hello hugs and then were hand in hand playing the rest of the afternoon.  So cute. 
The only flaws for this Mommy at the park was that it was hard to keep my eyes on more than one child, and to decide what shoes your kids should wear. The place is just tremendous, and as wonderful as it was there are always possible hazards around every corner, so the girls and I had to have a talk about staying together in the same "nest", and moving on together.  I just kept thinking "How would I watch more than these 2?"  The four "nests" have three different ground coverings, so for the sand play flip flops were great, but then to run on the rubbery ground, and climb the ropes and ladders, sneakers would be best.  Luckily, Charlotte (always prethinking) wore sneakers (in case of wood chip ground) and packed a pair of flip flops.  Madi wore her mary jane sneakers with socks, but ended up cutting the socks out the equation.
When we left I was exhausted, the kids were excited still, and it was time for me to get ready for work.  Such a fun day, and I'm sure only the first of many, at this amazing new Memphis location.

No comments:

Post a Comment